Just about everything is done and ready.
My bike had its last tune up and Will epoxied a pad for my still sensitive arm. I even tried acupuncture to sooth my angry body and nerves. The cavernous rental minivan is just about all packed for the road trip.
So there is nothing left to do but worry. Or have fun. There is nothing left to do other than have fun and not die. .
As we drive 20+ hours to the biggest race of my life, I’ll try not to let fear overwhelm me. I’ll try to remember why I do this crazy shit. I’ll steel myself with all the other times I’ve been painfully uncomfortable and scared.
Kym’s top 5 list of type 2 fun – worthwhile pain and fear.
- 19 days of paddling and portaging on the epic honeymoon. The Beginning & the end with Crippling Grand Portage.
- The mountains of Mordor AKA Trinona Triathlon and my first 1/2 Iron Tri: SuperiorMan
- Years of learning that my bike is not trying to kill me. Then the Blasted Ice Biking of winter 2014
- Winter camping and the unfinished igloo that nearly killed me.
- The pothole that bounced me off my bike 7 weeks ago.
The race is on Saturday the 17th. For the curious my bib number is 228 and results will be posted at beach2battleship.com
My stretch goal is under 12 hours. Everything would have to go perfectly and I’d have to go faster than I did for my 1/2 Iron two years ago. I’ll be happy with anything under 14 hours. While I’ll be happy with finishing at all before the 17 hour cut off, anything over 15 would probably mean things have gone wrong for me.